Don't let this guy set up your Christmas lights
I got this from the township earlier today. It's a good read:
While decorating homes and businesses is a long-standing tradition around the holiday season, the Lower Merion Fire Department and the U.S. Fire Administration are reminding residents that, unfortunately, these same decorations may increase your chances of fire.
Following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles and Christmas trees from creating a tragedy.
· Don't put your live Christmas tree up too early, or leave it up for longer than two weeks.
· Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
· Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times.
· Use only nonflammable decorations.
· Don't link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe to do so. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.
· Avoid using lit candles; consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
· Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don't block an exit way.
For more tips on how to prevent a holiday fire and what to do in case a fire starts in your home, visit the U.S. Fire Administration's website at www.usfa.fema.gov.